QSO UK
Risks of op's using 11M whilst a legal amateur radio operato Screenshot2010-02-07at162224-1
Welcome to QSOUK the forum for all radio users.
Sign in and enjoy No Adverts, Members Gallery and a Chat Room.

The QSOUK Team

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

QSO UK
Risks of op's using 11M whilst a legal amateur radio operato Screenshot2010-02-07at162224-1
Welcome to QSOUK the forum for all radio users.
Sign in and enjoy No Adverts, Members Gallery and a Chat Room.

The QSOUK Team
QSO UK
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Risks of op's using 11M whilst a legal amateur radio operato

3 posters

Go down

Risks of op's using 11M whilst a legal amateur radio operato Empty Risks of op's using 11M whilst a legal amateur radio operato

Post by Guest Sun Jan 06, 2008 11:24 pm

Could somebody tell me what the risks are associated with an amateur radio operator using 11M whislt continuing to legaly use other HF bands.

In my case, I am not really interested in using 2 Meters and 70 cm, holds little interest to me.
I am a operator who loves to work DX and also inter G on 80 Meters interests me from my time as an SWL.
Many are concerned about voice recognition.

I still have a love for 11M. even if I was to get my M3.

I have noticed a few ppl on various forums use both HF amateur bands legal and 11M band illegaly.

What are the risks of doing this.

I imagine there will be jobsworths even in the M3 community who will RX on 11M to find out if they recognise any voices !
I have heard in the US some ops being fined.

But there again, some ppl on clusterdk, freely and openly talk about using other bands and having various degres of the amateur ticket.

So whats the deal with operating ' out of bands ' with say an M3 ticket.

Back to top Go down

Risks of op's using 11M whilst a legal amateur radio operato Empty Re: Risks of op's using 11M whilst a legal amateur radio operato

Post by 2W0PWR Sun Jan 06, 2008 11:49 pm

If you get caught Eddie Ofcom will take your Licence and radio equipment off you. Not sre if they will fine you but I would think so.
The 11m band is still illegal to hams and its up to you if you still use the band. It's your licence at the end of the day. Just be careful on what info you put out around the bands and internet.

I don't think in my opinion that it's worth the risk and find the ham bands satisfy my radio needs. You will hear people using both and that is up to the individual...
2W0PWR
2W0PWR
Admin
Admin

Call Sign : 2W0PWR
Other Call Signs : MW3VSG, M3VSG
Locator : IO83KD
DXCC Entity : Wales
VHF / UHF Rig : Yaesu FT-7900 Motorola DM4600 DMR
HandHeld : Wouxun / Motorola DP-3400
Preferred Bands : 80 / 20 / VHF / UHF / D-Star / DMR
Special Event Calls : GB2RFS
Registration date : 2007-10-03
Number of posts : 1225

http://www.qrz.com/db/2W0PWR http://www.alarmboyz.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Risks of op's using 11M whilst a legal amateur radio operato Empty Re: Risks of op's using 11M whilst a legal amateur radio operato

Post by simon007 Mon Jan 07, 2008 1:16 am

Best is to stay either one side of the fence or the other and not mix it.

Many troubles are caused when you get a license to be somewhere rare and then use 11m. Causes no end of troubles, indeed there was many cases that am not going to quote here.

Either 11 or Amateur, to mix them sincerely is not worth the risk

Simon
simon007
simon007
Admin
Admin

Registration date : 2007-10-04
Number of posts : 1612

Back to top Go down

Post by daxi Mon Jan 07, 2008 4:19 am

OK I'll try again. This site hates me using opera & stops me posting.

I know several G3's, M3's etc etc who are regularly heard on legal CB. And get no comments or problems at all.
And I would say for 99% of hams someone using 11 meters SSB whilst licenced would not cause them any problems at all, as long as you are legal on the ham bands & don't give them grief whilst using your CB.
Then there's that other 1 %. The band Police. These guy's will actively go out of their way to get you prosecuted.

So use CB, but if it's not 100 % legal then don't mention it in ear shot of other hams unless you know they are OK.
daxi
daxi
Admin
Admin

Call Sign : M0LSX
Special Event Calls : Various.
Registration date : 2007-10-30
Number of posts : 765

http://www.qrz.com/M0LSX

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 07, 2008 7:31 am

So the golden rule is , if using 11M and ham ticketed , best to keep stum about it, sorted Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by daxi Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:28 am

26SD122_spirittalk wrote:So the golden rule is , if using 11M and ham ticketed , best to keep stum about it, sorted Very Happy

Oh AND...AND THIS IS MOST IMPORTANT. Don't forget yourself & call old Ted by his call sign when chatting to him on 11 meters SSB. (It's not good for him & certainly not for you when he next sees you up the Amateur Radio Club. Wink Wink )

I fully admit to my SW broadcasting & Echo Charlie use both when on the bands & when up the club. I even had a lovely & very long chat with a mate of Crispian St Johns aka Jay Jackson whilst operating a special event station a few months back.
But I only talk in the past tense & would never admit to being involved in any shape or form now....Even if I was pirat pirat
daxi
daxi
Admin
Admin

Call Sign : M0LSX
Special Event Calls : Various.
Registration date : 2007-10-30
Number of posts : 765

http://www.qrz.com/M0LSX

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down