QSO UK
Playing with home brew verticals Screenshot2010-02-07at162224-1
Welcome to QSOUK the forum for all radio users.
Sign in and enjoy No Adverts, Members Gallery and a Chat Room.

The QSOUK Team

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

QSO UK
Playing with home brew verticals Screenshot2010-02-07at162224-1
Welcome to QSOUK the forum for all radio users.
Sign in and enjoy No Adverts, Members Gallery and a Chat Room.

The QSOUK Team
QSO UK
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Playing with home brew verticals

Go down

Playing with home brew verticals Empty Playing with home brew verticals

Post by g0sop Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:28 am

My homebrew 20+40 fan dipole decided to show a high swr just before the PACC contest, so I dragged out a glass fibre fishing pole from the shed and some glass fibre portable masts that I purchased a while back from a surplus depot, ran a 10m wire up the mast, connected the wire to a Wimo MTFT balun that was sitting doing nowt, attached 4 x 10M radials ( speaker wire from the local DIY store ), with the help from the TS480 internal atu, it would tune 160 - 6M ( except for 80M ) I have a 20M plastic coated metal fence between my garden and my neighbours so I connected one radial to that, then I could tune 80M with the TS480 - cool I think.

Wake this morning, snowing again, and I can only tune the top end of 80M, all the connections are still good, all I can assume is that the snow is causing the antenna to be detuned for the bottom of 80 ?? Anyone seen this sort of thing before ?

Perhaps I should ask the wife for one of those smart tuners to place at the base of the antenna for my birthday next month.

Andy

g0sop

Call Sign : G0SOP
HF Rig : Colt 295a
HF Antenna : DV27 on biscuit tin in bedroom
Registration date : 2009-03-22
Number of posts : 159

Back to top Go down