QSO UK
The Big Net 2010 - 29 years of legal CB Radio Screenshot2010-02-07at162224-1
Welcome to QSOUK the forum for all radio users.
Sign in and enjoy No Adverts, Members Gallery and a Chat Room.

The QSOUK Team

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

QSO UK
The Big Net 2010 - 29 years of legal CB Radio Screenshot2010-02-07at162224-1
Welcome to QSOUK the forum for all radio users.
Sign in and enjoy No Adverts, Members Gallery and a Chat Room.

The QSOUK Team
QSO UK
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Big Net 2010 - 29 years of legal CB Radio

5 posters

Go down

The Big Net 2010 - 29 years of legal CB Radio Empty The Big Net 2010 - 29 years of legal CB Radio

Post by delboy Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:25 pm

The Big Net 2010 - 29 years of legal CB Radio The_Big_Net_29

Heads up and plenty of warning for this years 'Big Net' - Celebrating 29 years of legal CB radio in the UK.
delboy
delboy

Registration date : 2008-01-16
Number of posts : 64

http://www.delboyenterprises.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

The Big Net 2010 - 29 years of legal CB Radio Empty Re: The Big Net 2010 - 29 years of legal CB Radio

Post by simon007 Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:21 pm

Will be on the air, sadly too late in PM after sunset here but will listen and see if anythig does come along
simon007
simon007
Admin
Admin

Registration date : 2007-10-04
Number of posts : 1612

Back to top Go down

The Big Net 2010 - 29 years of legal CB Radio Empty Re: The Big Net 2010 - 29 years of legal CB Radio

Post by g0sop Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:24 pm

I will have a listen as well.

g0sop

Call Sign : G0SOP
HF Rig : Colt 295a
HF Antenna : DV27 on biscuit tin in bedroom
Registration date : 2009-03-22
Number of posts : 159

Back to top Go down

Post by daxi Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:12 pm

simon007 wrote:
Will be on the air, sadly too late in PM after sunset here but will listen and see if anythig does come along

It does look to have been planned by someone who does not understand the band. Intelligent planning would surely have been to organise it on the nearest weekend & at a time that works for both more people & the band conditions.
daxi
daxi
Admin
Admin

Call Sign : M0LSX
Special Event Calls : Various.
Registration date : 2007-10-30
Number of posts : 765

http://www.qrz.com/M0LSX

Back to top Go down

Post by g0sop Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:52 pm

daxi wrote:
simon007 wrote:

It does look to have been planned by someone who does not understand the band. Intelligent planning would surely have been to organise it on the nearest weekend & at a time that works for both more people & the band conditions.

Did you contact the organiser and suggest this ?

g0sop

Back to top Go down

Post by daxi Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:54 pm

I don't use CB & did not know that this event existed until I saw the new post this morning.
I got into radio via Short Wave Listening, Echo Charlie & 48 meter (etc) Broadcasting. So I was operating before CB came along. I did try it in the late 70's after someone on EC suggesting giving it a go, but I found it too quiet as it's range is so limited other than during openings. So although I have used CB a few times, mainly as legal broadcast site comm's or as vehicle to vehicle type comm's, I have never used CB as a hobby in or of it's self, I have just used it as a usable tool.
Edited to add. I was only making an observation, I have no desire to take part in this event, it just looks like the same old thinking that created a campaign for 27Mhz CB at the top of a Sun cycle rather than a well thought out demand for a lower HF band &/ or a VHF system, say around 50 - 70 MHz. The old UHF CB system was good, but few CB'ers used it as it required more knowledge to use it effectively, so it was lost, but it was head & shoulders above what we now have on 446MHz.
daxi
daxi
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by g0sop Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:09 pm

daxi wrote:I don't use CB & did not know that this event existed until I saw the new post this morning.
I got into radio via Short Wave Listening, Echo Charlie & 48 meter (etc) Broadcasting. So I was operating before CB came along. I did try it in the late 70's after someone on EC suggesting giving it a go, but I found it too quiet as it's range is so limited other than during openings. So although I have used CB a few times, mainly as legal broadcast site comm's or as vehicle to vehicle type comm's, I have never used CB as a hobby in or of it's self, I have just used it as a usable tool.
Edited to add. I was only making an observation, I have no desire to take part in this event, it just looks like the same old thinking that created a campaign for 27Mhz CB at the top of a Sun cycle rather than a well thought out demand for a lower HF band &/ or a VHF system, say around 50 - 70 MHz. The old UHF CB system was good, but few CB'ers used it as it required more knowledge to use it effectively, so it was lost, but it was head & shoulders above what we now have on 446MHz.

Oh go on, come and join us, you might like it Smile

g0sop

Back to top Go down

Post by 13TM001 Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:47 am

27Mhz ops are not all that bad. Come lower your standards and join us. You may learn something!!!

13TM001

Call Sign : 13TM001
HF Rig : FT 747 GX
HF Antenna : 1/2 Wave vertical
Registration date : 2009-05-27
Number of posts : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by daxi Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:24 am

I have no problem with CB or it's operators & never have. I just currently have more amateur bandspace available to me than I ever bother to use & still I spend most of my radio time as an SWL Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes .
I did get to know one of my best mates (now sadly SK) via CB, he was a CB user & I recognised the voice when SWL'ing the old AM CB frequencies & sent a reception report of that to his broadcast station. We then discovered that we lived 150 - 200 yards apart, that we had both been raided, but we did not until then know each others existence.
I do wish I had spent some time & effort on the old UHF (934 MHz was it?) band as my few excursions onto there were good. I also played with a CTE CB to 6.6 MHz transverter using a Nato something or other that a friend lent to me, it was rubbish, but I would but one tomorrow if I could for old times sake.
I currently have several old legal CB's laying around, as well as 2 Ham Internationals, one is 10 meter converted the other is not, plus I have a Belcom LS120 that I think is capable of 26 - 30MHz operation. So I have the kit here, I just like listening.
daxi
daxi
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down