QSO UK
1/2 wave v's 5/8 wave Screenshot2010-02-07at162224-1
Welcome to QSOUK the forum for all radio users.
Sign in and enjoy No Adverts, Members Gallery and a Chat Room.

The QSOUK Team

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

QSO UK
1/2 wave v's 5/8 wave Screenshot2010-02-07at162224-1
Welcome to QSOUK the forum for all radio users.
Sign in and enjoy No Adverts, Members Gallery and a Chat Room.

The QSOUK Team
QSO UK
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

1/2 wave v's 5/8 wave

4 posters

Go down

1/2 wave v's 5/8 wave Empty 1/2 wave v's 5/8 wave

Post by symonh2000 Sun May 09, 2010 4:23 am

I am planning on purchasing a new base station antenna in the near future and would like a few opinions.

I haven't got much to spend so I am looking at 1/2 wave and 5/8 wave Hi-gain silver rod type antennas.

Is there a massive difference in performance between 1/5 and 5/8 wave designs? I had a 1/2 wave Silver rod many years ago (17 to be exact) and was quite happy with it, but this time I fancy something a bit different.

The extra length of the 5/8 wave is an attraction as I may have to mount it closer to the ground than in the old days. 1/2 wave v's 5/8 wave Icon_cry

So am I going to notice much differebce in performance between the two of them?

Many Thanks. 1/2 wave v's 5/8 wave Icon_smile
symonh2000
symonh2000

HF Rig : Audioline PT-345
Registration date : 2010-04-29
Number of posts : 15

Back to top Go down

1/2 wave v's 5/8 wave Empty Re: 1/2 wave v's 5/8 wave

Post by daxi Sun May 09, 2010 5:27 am

If erriccson still has his Siro 827 up for sale they are excellent antennas.
A five eighth wave antenna does not normally use a groundplane, but it provides a higher gain than a shorter antenna, typically a 5/8th wave is around 1 - 1.5 dbd over a quarter wave dipole, (ignore manufacturers boastful claims) it also has a lower angle of radiation, making it a better DX antenna, but it does require some form of matching as is does not naturally give 50 ohms, but 100 Ohms. This reduces effcience slightly & also adds to price.
A reasonable 5/8th wave gets my vote over a half wave every time, if there is a choice.
daxi
daxi
Admin
Admin

Call Sign : M0LSX
Special Event Calls : Various.
Registration date : 2007-10-30
Number of posts : 765

http://www.qrz.com/M0LSX

Back to top Go down

Post by symonh2000 Sun May 09, 2010 7:25 am

Cheers for the reply,

Unfortunately I don't think I would be able to have an 827 as the ground planes would make it a bit unsightly.

It has to be quite straight and not too noticeable. I could get an Antron 99, but I don't think they work any better than a regular half wave to be honest.
symonh2000
symonh2000

HF Rig : Audioline PT-345
Registration date : 2010-04-29
Number of posts : 15

Back to top Go down

Post by porky.69 Sun May 09, 2010 7:49 am

antron 99 are very good antennas but a little more money 1/2 wave v's 5/8 wave Icon_bounce
porky.69
porky.69

HF Rig :
HF Antenna :
Preferred Bands : all
Registration date : 2009-01-20
Number of posts : 219

Back to top Go down

Post by ericcson Sun May 09, 2010 11:29 am

daxi wrote:If erriccson still has his Siro 827 up for sale they are excellent antennas.
A five eighth wave antenna does not normally use a groundplane, but it provides a higher gain than a shorter antenna, typically a 5/8th wave is around 1 - 1.5 dbd over a quarter wave dipole, (ignore manufacturers boastful claims) it also has a lower angle of radiation, making it a better DX antenna, but it does require some form of matching as is does not naturally give 50 ohms, but 100 Ohms. This reduces effcience slightly & also adds to price.
A reasonable 5/8th wave gets my vote over a half wave every time, if there is a choice.
ive had 2 division on this sirio 827 and about 40 odd peeps were listening to me hehe austin texas unit 66 steve 5/8 that 2.5 mins was a life time best contact yet in 22 yrs a long time coming .. and the 827 24 feet off the ground .. 50 quid to get 2 division bargain lol ..

ericcson

Registration date : 2009-01-02
Number of posts : 18

Back to top Go down

Post by daxi Sun May 09, 2010 8:46 pm

porky.69 wrote:antron 99 are very good antennas but a little more money 1/2 wave v's 5/8 wave Icon_bounce

See the link below
Anton 99 exsposed.

The 99 is not a bad cheap antenna, but their own publicity seems to have over ridden the reality of a good cheap antenna sold over price by the use of dishonest claims.
A cheaper antenna will give the same performance as an Anton 99 & the Anton 99 does not perform even half as well as it's manufacturer claims it does & personally I would say given the lies of Anton about the 99 it is poor value for money as I dislike companies that treat consumers like idiots & buying one new only encourages these lies to continue.
But yes it should perform almost as well as a Siro 827. that is the performance difference will be VERY minimal & not noticeable.

Edited to add. Don't discount the 99, being shunt fed it has the advantage that it is less susceptible to lightning due to it's direct grounding. The 99 also has a height advantage being a half wave antenna with a quarter wave coil at it's base making it electrically a three quarter wave, but being a three quarter wave length lifts the radiation angle over a five eighth wave. So don't discount the the 99 especially if you can buy a decent cheap one or if you need something less intrusive than a 5/8th wave, but also don't look at it as being as good as, as it's only almost as good as, unless you compare radiation patterns when the 99 has a slightly higher radiation pattern & a few percent does make a difference on real DX.
But choice is often a compromise & if I wanted a low profile antenna the 99 would win EVERY time over a 5/8th wave.
daxi
daxi
Admin
Admin

Call Sign : M0LSX
Special Event Calls : Various.
Registration date : 2007-10-30
Number of posts : 765

http://www.qrz.com/M0LSX

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content