QSO UK
Icom 2820 Antenna connection, Can we get UHF on one and VHF? Screenshot2010-02-07at162224-1
Welcome to QSOUK the forum for all radio users.
Sign in and enjoy No Adverts, Members Gallery and a Chat Room.

The QSOUK Team

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

QSO UK
Icom 2820 Antenna connection, Can we get UHF on one and VHF? Screenshot2010-02-07at162224-1
Welcome to QSOUK the forum for all radio users.
Sign in and enjoy No Adverts, Members Gallery and a Chat Room.

The QSOUK Team
QSO UK
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Icom 2820 Antenna connection, Can we get UHF on one and VHF?

2 posters

Go down

Icom 2820 Antenna connection, Can we get UHF on one and VHF? Empty Icom 2820 Antenna connection, Can we get UHF on one and VHF?

Post by n0vpr Mon Nov 16, 2009 7:39 am

We are placing an Icom IC-2820h at our state EOC. It will share a tri-band antenna with an ID-1. Is it possible to assign the one band to the left port and the other band to the right port?
Thanks

n0vpr

Registration date : 2009-11-16
Number of posts : 2

Back to top Go down

Icom 2820 Antenna connection, Can we get UHF on one and VHF? Empty Re: Icom 2820 Antenna connection, Can we get UHF on one and VHF?

Post by 2W0PWR Mon Nov 16, 2009 7:48 am

Hi Thomas,

Welcome to the forum. I have the IC-2820 D-Star radio, I used to have two so I hope I can help.

You're right the IC-2820 does have two antenna sockets but they can't be used for separate bands. One is for TX and RX and the other is for RX only which is used for Diversity receive. To use Diversity Receive the radio can't be on duel VFO... This means you can only listen to one frequency...

Some info taken from the Icom site bellow -
Diversity receive capability
If you have two antennas, diversity receive* capability is useful for mobile operation where the received signal strength changes continuously. Within a single band, the radio compares signal strength from each antenna and chooses the better signal to maintain good sound and receive quality.
* Available on 127, 136, 146, 375, 440, 500MHz bands in FM, FM-N, DV mode only.
2W0PWR
2W0PWR
Admin
Admin

Call Sign : 2W0PWR
Other Call Signs : MW3VSG, M3VSG
Locator : IO83KD
DXCC Entity : Wales
VHF / UHF Rig : Yaesu FT-7900 Motorola DM4600 DMR
HandHeld : Wouxun / Motorola DP-3400
Preferred Bands : 80 / 20 / VHF / UHF / D-Star / DMR
Special Event Calls : GB2RFS
Registration date : 2007-10-03
Number of posts : 1225

http://www.qrz.com/db/2W0PWR http://www.alarmboyz.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Icom 2820 Antenna connection, Can we get UHF on one and VHF? Empty Icom 2820 Antenna connection, Can we get UHF on one and VHF?

Post by n0vpr Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:13 am

2W0PWR wrote:Hi Thomas,

Welcome to the forum. I have the IC-2820 D-Star radio, I used to have two so I hope I can help.

You're right the IC-2820 does have two antenna sockets but they can't be used for separate bands. One is for TX and RX and the other is for RX only which is used for Diversity receive. To use Diversity Receive the radio can't be on duel VFO... This means you can only listen to one frequency...

Some info taken from the Icom site bellow -
Diversity receive capability
If you have two antennas, diversity receive* capability is useful for mobile operation where the received signal strength changes continuously. Within a single band, the radio compares signal strength from each antenna and chooses the better signal to maintain good sound and receive quality.
* Available on 127, 136, 146, 375, 440, 500MHz bands in FM, FM-N, DV mode only.

I was pretty sure this was the case. Thanks
Looks like we're back to tri-plexers and di-plexers.

n0vpr

Registration date : 2009-11-16
Number of posts : 2

Back to top Go down

Icom 2820 Antenna connection, Can we get UHF on one and VHF? Empty Re: Icom 2820 Antenna connection, Can we get UHF on one and VHF?

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down